2017 Family Friends of Scouting
What is Friends of Scouting, and why is it so important to contribute to the annual Friends of Scouting Campaign?
Two great questions! Friends of Scouting (FOS) is the annual giving campaign of the Westark Area Council, BSA, which provides the necessary funds to ensure a quality Scouting program for youth. More specifically, by supporting FOS, you help us keep:
- The cost of our camps affordable
- Our Service Center and camping facilities in top condition
- Our promise of a quality Scouting experience to your son and others in Scouting
The Friends of Scouting Campaign is a vital component to the programs and services of the Westark Area Council. The money raised through Friends of Scouting offsets cost of training leaders, operating camps and our service center, as well as providing other resources to Cub Packs and Scout Troops throughout our council.
It costs the Westark Area Council $250 to provide a quality scouting experience for one boy per year. Parents of Scouts and community members play a vital role in the annual Friends of Scouting campaign by contributing money based on their interest in the program and their ability to give to this important component of the Scouting program.
Your unit can help make this campaign successful by signing up for a Friends of Scouting presentation to occur at your unit’s biggest gathering (typically the Blue and Gold Banquet or a Troop Court of Honor). The presentation, which takes about 10 minutes to conduct, informs parents and leaders of all council services, its financial needs and extends an opportunity to help fulfill the need.
The Westark Area Council is pleased to offer an incentive to Scouting units that participate in Friends of Scouting and are designated as "Pacesetter" units. These incentives support advancement and reward the units that participate in the ‘Pacesetter" program.
Your Unit can receive FREE RANK BADGES for your unit by doing the following:
- Your unit must designate a Unit FOS Chairperson (Contact).
- Your unit must notify the district of their 2017 FOS presentation no later than December 16, 2016.
- Your unit FOS Presentation must be held no later than March 31, 2017.
- Your Unit FOS Chairperson must attend their district’s Family FOS Kick-Off in January.
- Your Unit Leader and/or FOS Unit Chairperson must vocally support the FOS Program and encourage parents and adult leaders to participate.
Families making any gift will receive a Friends of Scouting Decal.
Those families making a gift of $150.00 will be presented a limited edition patch with a Bronze border. Families that make a gift of $300.00 or more will receive a limited edition patch with a Silver border and families that make a gift of $500.00 or more will receive a limited edition patch with a Gold border.
This year, the patch features Twin Falls at Camp Orr, one of our Council’s most recognizable landmarks.
Help keep scouting strong in the Westark Area Council by signing up for a unit presentation by clicking on this link: http://www.westarkbsa.org/Event.aspx?id=3269