2017 National Jamboree
At the second jamboree to be held at the Summit Bechtel Reserve, you’ll be able to explore the mystery, adventure, and beauty of a West Virginia summer, and the adventure of Scouting. You’ll join more than 30,000 Scouts from all over the country, as they enjoy 10,600 acres of wild, wonderful West Virginia at the Summit and find out first hand just what it’s like to Live Scouting’s Adventure. In Scouting, as in life, adventure takes on many meanings: high adventure, learning, camaraderie, and simply being part of something bigger. The 2017 jamboree theme encompasses all of these aspects, and participants will quite literally experience every element of adventure in what will be a mega-event of any Scout’s lifetime. To Live Scouting’s Adventure is to be fully invested in the experience, the thrill, and the purpose Scouting offers, not only to ourselves, but also to our communities and to the world.
So get ready to Live Scouting’s Adventure at the 2017 jamboree from July 19-28, 2017.
The Westark Area Council will offer two opportunities for youth to attend the jamboree.
1. “Full” Troop Contingent (36 Youth and 4 Adult Leaders): The contingent will leave on July 13, 2017 for an "once-in-a-lifetime experience" that will include whitewater rafting and historic sites such as Mt. Vernon, Monticello, and the National Cathedral. The Scouts will also lay a wreath at Arlington National Cemetery and tour the museums and monuments of our nation’s capital before making their way to The Summit. The Full Troop Contingent will return on July 29.
2. “Express” Troop Contingent (36 Youth and 4 Adult Leaders): This contingent offers and opportunity for Scouts to attend the jamboree, but it does not include the touring opportunities or time commitment of the Full Jamboree Contingent. The Express Troop will leave on July 18 and return on July 29.
SCOUT PARTICIPANT QUALIFICATIONS
- Scouts and team members MUST have a current BSA membership with a Boy Scout troop or Varsity Scout team.
- MUST be at least a First Class Scout.
- MUST be at least 12 years of age by the first day of the Jamboree or an 11 year old that has graduated the 6th grade, but has not reached their 18th birthday by the last day of the Jamboree.
- Be approved by the unit leader and local council.
- MUST have appropriate parent/guardian to complete the online parental consent. (An email will be sent to the parent/guardian during the application process.)
- Participate in pre-Jamboree training experience with local council and unit leader.
- Filed a BSA Health & Medical Record with their council within one year of attending the Jamboree.
- Submit all registrations fees per the local council’s payment schedule.
Reserve your place now with a $350 Deposit for the full contingent and $250 for the express. The total cost for each youth participant will be:
Full Troop Contingent - $2600: This fee includes transportation, meals and lodging in route to and from the jamboree as well as program materials, food, equipment, and the use of a tent, cot, dining shelters, stoves, fuel, and cooking utensils during your adventure at the Jamboree.
Express Troop Contingent - $1900: This fee includes transportation and meals in route to and from the jamboree as well as program materials, food, equipment, and the use of a tent, cot, dining shelters, stoves, fuel, and cooking utensils during your adventure at the Jamboree.